The best ones can be visited on foot from the house
WHAT TO SE
WHERE TO FIND
LAND OF CASTLES
In La Segarrra there are a large number of fortifications and it is often called Terra de Castells.
In the 11th and 12th centuries, in these places, crossed by the river Sion, the border between the Catalan Christian counties and the Arab Al-Andalus was drawn, this territory was known as "La Marca Hispànica Superior". This fact turned this area into an insecure space, where clashes were the order of the day, where there were strong defensive needs.
Once the border disappeared, the castles lost their defensive function and most became lords' castles and a few became Castell Palau, the headquarters of a feudalism that lasted until the nineteenth century. Most of these buildings have been preserved today, becoming a testament to the history of the region and the country, in this route we present the most significant.
The most impressive The Castle-Palace of Montcortes and the Castle of L'Aranyó can be visited while taking a walk from the house, the rest are within walking distance and can be visited by a route by mountain bike, hiking or car as most of them are within walking distance of the house.
CASTLE PALACE OF MONTCORTES
From 1,5Km.--> The most imposing of all is the Castle Castle of Montcortés de Segarra (belongs to our farm), a majestic fortress that contrasts with the small town of Montcortés, formed by small farmhouses of the seventeenth and eighteenth centuries and the church of Santa Anna, from the 16th century. Of rectangular plant, originally it had 4 towers, still the structure can be seen, the tower of the tribute (highest of all) and one of the others had to be disassembled by Royal order, because only the Castles royal could have 4 towers.
Exterior visit to the Castle and the village.
From 1,5Km.--> The medieval village of Aranyó, one of the most charming enclosed villages in La Segarra, houses one of the best-known castles on this route, documented since the 14th century. Throughout history, it belonged to many noble families, including that of Manuel de Pedrolo, who was born in this fortress in 1918. It is currently a private residence, so its interior can not be visited, however it can be seen from the outside.
Exterior visit to the village and the Castle
From 5,1Km.--> Secondary military fortress of Concabella Castle. it is recorded in 1008 and was joined by a mill in the 16th century. Later, it was restored and currently remains privately owned. It is not walled so it is possible to admire up close and contemplate its majesty in the first person.
A 4Km.---> This is one of the largest castles in La Segarra; old stately palace of the eleventh century, Renaissance style, located in the town of Concabella which owes its name to the family of the Concabella, who lived in this palace in the twelfth century. It is municipally owned and is the main reference of this route and one of the most imposing in the region because it houses the Interpretation Center of the Castles, Secans Interpretation Center, Espai Pedrolo, Pedrolo Documentary Collection.
Visit Exterior and interior and the walled town of Concabella
From 7,9 Km.--> It is located in Les Pallargues, a village located near the river Sió, its oldest record is from the year 1061. Today it still belongs to the same family as 100 years ago, the Roviras, who kindly offer guided tours to the interior of its splendid fortress. This fortress stands out for its façade, where there is a large Gothic-style arch thirteen meters high and seven meters wide.
Exterior and interior views
From 20Km.--> It is located in an walled medieval village, it is located in a strategic point of the area that allowed surveillance by having a panoramic view of the territory. The first records found on this castle are from the 11th century; was built by Arnau Mir de Tost, a knight of the county of Urgell and belonged to several aristocratic families such as the Lords of Guimerà. It offers visits inside.
Visit Exterior and interior and the medieval village of Florejacs
From 18Km.--> Fortification of Gothic and Roman architecture, was the main scene of wars between Romans and Muslims during the battles for the conquest of this territory. There is a magnificent watchtower over 20 meters high, which was used to spot threats from afar. It opens its doors to the public regularly and allows you to appreciate its structure in the first person, where there are stately rooms, cellars and dungeons still well preserved. An authentic piece of medieval history very well preserved.
Visit Exterior and Interior
From 8,4 Km.--> Also known as "castrum Mediani". Like many of the castles of La Segarra it has been recorded since the 11th century. Initially, it belonged to several feudal lords and important families of the territory. Highlights include its two circular towers for the surveillance of the village in antiquity, and also a small chapel located a few meters from the fortress.
From 15Km.--> Although not a Castle properly it is a village of medieval origin fully fortified, located on the highest part of a hill. It had a completely panoramic view to defend and protect the territory in times of battle. It is surrounded by a wall built of natural stone and more than 8 meters high, so it was virtually impenetrable.