From 1,5Km--> Medieval village of L'Aranyó, located in an elevated area, has very good panoramic views. Part of the original Closa town is preserved with its entrance portal, around the Castle the whole urban plot is articulated formed by 8 houses and their agricultural annexes. The Catalan writer Manuel de Pedrolo was born in L'Aranyó Castle, the author of typescripts of the second origin, among others. L'Aranyó is one of the towns most used to promote La Segarra and the province of Lleida, so its originality will not leave you indifferent.
From 1,7 Km--> Two large rocks in the middle of the Aranyó plains, some people say they are the remains of two meteorites, others speak of differential erosion, in the village they say that the two barns were turned to stone by the selfishness of the his master by not feeding a beggar. They are surrounded by many legends, if on the night of St. John you pass near the stone barns, you will hear the groans of the owner of the barns who laments his selfishness. And if you count the stones in the pile next to the barns three times in a row without making a mistake the next day, you will change sex.
From 1,7Km.--> The Roman columbarium of L'Aranyó was a funerary construction from the Roman period, where the urns with the ashes of the dead were deposited. The columbarium dates between the 4th century (Christianization of the Roman Empire) and the 8th century (before the Muslim conquest of Catalonia). It consists of 8 niches excavated in the rock and 6 anthropomorphic tombs in the shape of a bathtub oriented East-West excavated in the rock above the row of niches. Although it was a break with previous funerary customs, it indicates a clear will to maintain the place as a necropolis, which would lead us to assert an identification with Roman tradition by the new ruling elite: the Visigoths.
From 0,8 Km.--> The Aranyó Airfield was assigned to the 3rd Sector of the Catalan Air Region, which included the Principality and part of Aragon. Construction work began in 1937 and lasted about seven or eight months. The aerodrome had two runways that intersected. 130 people. He was prepared for a fighter squadron.
It is currently being restored and can be visited, where remains of the aforementioned buildings can be seen. The basement, which served as a refuge, can be reached via a long row of stairs.
From 1,5Km. --> The medieval village of Montcortés de Segarra. To the east of the Aranyó is the village of Montcortès de Segarra, already mentioned in 1095. The place is formed by a street of houses of the XVIII and XIX centuries presided over by the majestic presence of the castle of Montcortés the most imposing of all the Castles de la Segarra, also known as "the colossus of Zion". In front of the castle is the church of Santa Anna de Montcortès, a small 16th century building with a belfry. In Montcortés de Segarra we will find Cal Companys, the origin of the family of the republican president of the Generalitat de Catalunya, LLuis Companys.
A "peixera" is a dam in a river that holds water and allows it to be channeled into a ditch for irrigation, mainly from orchards, or for hydraulic use to move mills. Very close to the house we find the fish tanks of Hostafrancs 2.5 km. and Concabella (photo) at 2.7 km., of medieval origin that are preserved in very good condition, a rainy year we can see them in their full splendor.
From 9,5Km.--> La Segarra has many jewels of dry stone, including the Pletes, medieval buildings to enclose livestock. Near the house we can visit several, including the Pleta de Les Pallargues, which is in very good condition.
From 7,9Km.--> The Romanesque church of Sant Esteve de Pelagalls is documented from the year 1095, it belongs to the late Romanesque style. Of note is the portal of the west wall, from the 12th century, formed by three archivolts that rest on columns with capitals, in the center there is a lintel tympanum.
In the small cemetery adjacent to the apse of the church are preserved six discoidal stelae, which can be dated to the twelfth century, probably still in their original place.
The largest number of primitive sundials in Europe has been found in this church.
From 1,5Km--> Very close to the house we find remains of the old L2, the Republican line of defense that extended from La Seu d'Urgell to Tarragona. A network of bunkers and trenches to try to stop the arrival of the Francoist army. In the forest of the cross we find this nest of machine guns camouflaged inside the forest, fully armored and perfectly preserved, fortunately it was never used.
From 12 Km.--> From this town founded between the 2nd and 1st centuries BC, the archaeological complex formed by the Guissona Eduard Camps Museum and the Archaeological Park can be visited. Visiting this unique heritage complex in Ponent will be able to know the development of the Roman civilization in our lands.